Notification is a brief message that appears directly on your user’s devices. To send a notification, three simple steps need to be followed as shown below. Step 1 makes sure the visible details of the notification are inserted properly such as the title and message of the notification. Step 2 is optional and provides the internal values and links to the notification. It depends on a user to include his preferred features. Step 3 is important to schedule a notification which includes factors such as timing, choosing a segment, and other additional features.
Insert visible details for notification which includes a notification title, message, and a URL
1.1 Notification Details
The details for notification comprise of title, message & landing page URL. These details will be directly visible on a notification.
- Notification Title: Enter the notification title as needed. It’s the first text a user reads on the notification.NOTE-The word limit for the notification title is 100
- Notification Message: Enter the notification Message which displays in the push notification just below the title.
NOTE-The word limit for the message body is 300
a)Use a short, accurate, and catchy title.
b) Clear and succinct notification message(Generally, the optimal number of words for message body is less than20 which could vary) have a higher click-through rate.
- Landing page URL: Insert the URL for the landing page which will direct the user directly to the page once he clicks on the notification. Landing page URL could be a form for receiving the details or a dedicated page for the specific campaign.
1.2 Notification Images
Adding images in notification increases its authenticity and optimize the overall visibility of the notification, thus, making it look more appealing to the user.
- Add notification icon– This comes on the corner of the notification depending on the type of operating system a user uses. Generally, a company icon or a website icon is used on the icon’s place which helps in brand recognition.
- Add a big image– The featured image can be inserted in a notification related to the message being pushed. It’s recommended using relevant images in the push notification which increases its chances of getting clicked.
NOTE– The size of the icon and the image should be less than 2 MB. Recommended–
a) Always use images with good visibility and quality.
b) You can always check for the final images on the notification by sending it to the test users.
Insert internal data & links. This step allows you to perform all the background work that needs to be done such as providing important links and values which can be used to track the notification status
2.1 Notification Data
- utm_source- This indicates the source of the notification i.e., from where the notification is coming.
For example, we are giving it ‘Browser’ as default. If it’s an android push, you can give the source name as ‘android’.
- utm_medium- This data shows which medium is used to notify the users. It could be notification, RSS-to-Push, and trigger. The default value is taken as a notification.
- utm_campaign- This is a system-generated unique campaign number to identify this particular campaign. It can be changed as per your convenience.
- Search Tags- You can add one or more search tags for your campaign so it will be easier for you to search for campaigns with particular tags and asses them.
2.2 Adding Buttons
Push notification contains buttons that link directly to the landing page or any specific page which you want the button to be linked to. You can create one or two buttons.
For example, SHOP NOW, SUBSCRIBE, CONTRIBUTE, PURCHASE, etc are a few of the options that can be used.
- Button Text- Enter the text that you want to be present on the button.
- Button Link- For a user to be redirected to a specific URL, you can give the button link here.
- Button Icon- You can enter the button icon that appears to the left of the button space.
NOTE– The size of the button icon should be less than 2 MB.
- Add New button- If you want to have a second button, go for it. It has the same components as above.
- Adding Additional Data(optional)- You can provide additional keys and values to the notification for your easy assessment.
After the notification is created, scheduling is done. Sending a notification at the optimal time yields maximum click-through rates and thus, maximum conversion rates. You can select the date and time to send a notification. Once a notification is scheduled, no other manual effort is required. It’s an automated process and saves a considerable amount of time.
a)The timings for scheduling a push notification should be thoroughly studied.
b) Analyze the time for which your users uses their devices most of the time.
3.1 Timings For Notification
- Click on “schedule the notification” box.
- Date option will drop down wherein you can select the date on which notification is to be sent.
- User interaction notification – Every browser has a different time for notification to stay on the screen if a user doesn’t take any action. If you select the option of “user interaction required”, the notification will stay on till user takes an action. Currently, browsers that support this feature are-
Chrome, edge(17 and above), opera, chrome for android, opera for android, Samsung internet.
- Campaign expires- If you want the campaign to stop after a particular time, insert the number of hours in the space provided below the “campaign expiry time” option.
Note– The number of hours for expiry limit should be between 1-672 hours.
- Select your customer segments-The final task is to select the users to send notifications to. You can choose “all subscribers” or “select from the segments” that you have created. Click here to learn how to create audience segments. Your customers can be segmented based on various categories we provide as given below or you can create your own preferred segment group.
Segmentations-Browser, country, state, last visit date, subscription date, an hour of the day, etc.
- Click on “send notification” to complete the process. However, you can always select “send to test users” to send a notification before sending it to your subscribers.
- The process to send a notification is now complete. You can check the notification as and when it pops-up on your website or sent to the test users.
Finally, this is how a notification looks for web-windows & web-android.
Review us on TrustRadius.